Baking Soda For Heartburn.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline salt, which can be commonly found in almost every household. It is used for baking, cooking and several other household purposes- from treating hair loss to managing metabolism.
That is not all! Baking soda for heartburn is another use of this popular cooking product that’s helping millions around the world. The compound is useful for treating acid reflux, a common ailment. It can also help in preventing damage to the esophagus.
Related: Baking Soda Recipes
Understanding Heartburn and Acidity
Before exploring baking soda and heartburn benefits, let’s check out what acid reflux is.
Acid reflux is an ongoing or chronic digestive condition in which the stomach in which acids spew upward into the esophagus. A chronic condition of such reflux is known as Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
Acid itself is necessary to digest the food. However, acid movement causes heartburn. Baking soda heartburn remedies can be used for its treatment. However, the pain and discomfort is not the only symptom of heartburn.
In fact, acid reflux is often accompanied by various other symptoms such as bloating, sore throat, difficulty breathing, belching, etc. Baking powder for heartburn can be used for treating these issues as well.
It must be known that various factors, which can trigger such a condition including consumption of spicy, oily, and fatty foods among many others. Thankfully, the condition is quite common and easily manageable, especially with baking soda heartburn remedies.
For treating acid reflux even GERD, you should focus on managing all the symptoms while protecting the esophagus from the burn.
How to Help Heartburn? Does Baking Soda Works?
Yes! Baking soda does work. Its chemical composition is alkaline in nature, which neutralizes the stomach acid and aids in detoxifying the digestive system. However benefits of baking soda bath are also undeniable.
The truth is that even our bodies produce this alkaline compound for combating acidity and heartburn and general. However, our unhealthy lifestyles, changing habits and smoking, among other factors prevents our pancreas from producing a desirable amount.
Consequently, we have to consume bicarbonate of soda for heartburn. When taken manually, baking soda can mimic the effects of natural sodium bicarbonate that our body produces. It even to a certain extent helps in reducing the risk of long-term esophageal damage.
Apart from the regular baking soda that is available in the powdered form in most of the grocery stores, you can even get them in the forms of capsules, tablets, granules and solutions.
How to Use Baking Soda For Heartburn?
Uses of baking soda are awesome choice by everyone on this planet, however its helps you in heartburn too. Wondering how much baking soda you should take for managing heartburn and other symptoms? Try these methods-
Baking Soda and Water
- Mix one to two and a half teaspoons of baking soda in a glass of cold water and gulp it up.
- Drink it every two hours.
- For faster relief, mix one tablespoon baking soda with ½ cup water.
- Consume whenever you suffer from acid reflux.
Don’t use the treatment for more than six times a day. If you do not witness any change in 2 days, visit a doctor. There are lots of Drinking Baking Soda Benefits You should know.
Baking Soda as Pills
Do you wonder what helps with heartburn? Well, baking soda can be of help. However, people who do not prefer the taste of baking soda do not have to drink it with water. Instead, they can use over-the-counter and prescription tablets.
Baking Soda with Honey
- This baking soda for heartburn remedy is easy and tasty. Simply dissolve one to two and a half teaspoons of baking soda with one teaspoon of raw honey with a glass of warm water.
- Drink the solution to get immediate relief.
Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
- For this heartburn baking soda treatment, mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1/4th teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water.
- Mix well and drink at least 2 to 3 times/day, preferably 3 hours before a meal.
- Use this treatment for no more than five days straight.
Tips and Precautions
- Sometimes, baking powder for heartburn can cause abdominal distention, nausea, bloating, belching and gas. So, avoid going beyond recommended amount.
- If you have severe blood pressure problems, talk to your doctor before using baking soda.
- Always consume baking soda in recommended dosage, as excessive can cause diarrhea. Adults can drink a maximum of 6 glasses of baking soda solution in 24 hours whereas the elderlies should not take any more than three glasses.
- Children below five years of age should not at all be given this solution.
- Consult a doctor immediately, if you are experiencing unexpected side effects.
- For baking soda solutions to work optimally, stay away from drinking alcohol, smoking, or eating spicy or fatty foods.
Baking soda can help you cruise through days, which could otherwise be painful. But, if you are getting persistent heartburns, do not neglect; go see a doctor.